Horizon Ottawa is looking to hire a part-time organizer for a short-term contract starting in November until mid-December. The contract will consist of mobilizing our members, supporters and residents around issues as needed as well as help with communications and could include things like livetweeting meetings, drafting press releases or posting on social media.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience with community/political organizing work throughout the City of Ottawa as well as some knowledge and understanding of Ottawa municipal politics and social movements in the city. They will be able to work independently and problem-solve with little supervision. The ideal candidate will also have creative ideas of how to drive action and engagement around our campaigns.
We are looking for applicants who have read and agree with Horizon Ottawa’s mission and Basis of Unity.
- Carrying out the campaign’s outreach strategy
- Recruiting, training, and managing volunteers
- Phone canvassing and potentially mainstreeting
- Educating members and volunteers on the City budget process
- Work with communications volunteers on social media content and livetweeting
- Meeting with stakeholders and partners to carry out outreach strategies
- Building our membership base
- Working with Horizon Ottawa’s Board of Directors to carry out this work
- Some understanding and knowledge of Ottawa municipal affairs and City Hall politics
- Experience as a community organizer or campaigner
- Previous experience with volunteer management
- Ability to work independently
- Be available to work afternoons, evenings, and weekends
- Knowledge of campaign outreach software such as Callhub is an asset
- Knowledge of CRMs like Nationbuilder is an asset
- Experience with managing social media accounts and livetweeting
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- Have a positive attitude, and a commitment to social justice
Compensation will be hourly at $25/hour for a minimum of 10 hours a week and maximum of 15 hours a week. This is a short, month-long contract position until the end of December 2021 with possibility of extension.
How to apply:
Please submit your application to [email protected]wa.ca with the subject line “Organizer Position Application”:
- Current Resume
- Brief cover letter explaining why you want to work with Horizon Ottawa
Applications are due by November 10th, 2021 and the position will begin as soon as possible.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews. Interviews will be conducted over Zoom.
We encourage and welcome the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities will bring to our campaign, and we invite First Nations’, Indigenous and Metis people, people of colour, poor and working class people and those on social assistance, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities to apply for this position.